The new year is a perfect time for self-reflection and resolution-making. It's also a great time to hit "refresh" on the way you look at your life and the things you prioritize. This year, instead of vowing to hit the gym every day, we thought we'd make some un-resolutions and tally some of the things that we're going to cross off our list of stressors for the next year. Because, sometimes, you just need to give fewer f**ks about the things that are weighing you down.
Below are 20 things we've vowed to stop giving a sh*t about in 2016. What would you add?
1. Having plans on a Friday night. After a long week, sometimes all you want to do is watch Netflix and order takeout. Own that instead of feeling guilty about it.
2. The sexual connotations of Netflix and chill. Maybe you just literally want to Netflix and chill! Watching Netflix and chilling while doing so sounds delightful! (See above.)
3. "Putting yourself out there." Yes, it's great to make new friends and open yourself up to new romantic connections if you're looking for them. But often the people who tell you to "just put yourself out there!" ignore the immense amount of effort and mental energy it takes to do that. Also, oftentimes finding new love is more about dumb luck than individual effort.
4. Watching every new TV show and listening to every hit song. There is way too much great television and music to keep up with it all. Just stick to the things that truly excite you.
5. Doing trendy workouts you don't enjoy. Hard pass on paying $45 a class to feel like death.
6. Making plans you have no interest in to catch up with people out of obligation. Ain't nobody got time for that. Instead, dedicate time and energy to nurturing the relationships you truly care about.
7. The perfect winged eyeliner. We officially give up.
8. Twitter trolls. This one is easier said than done, but often it's best to dedicate as little energy as possible to garbage humans on the Internet.
9. Getting tons of likes on Instagram. If you want to Instagram your brunch/weekend trip/view/funny sign/visiting BFF, do it because you want to, likes be damned.
10. Whether or not Hillary Clinton is "likeable" enough. Nope nope nope, moving along.
11. Making a big deal out of Valentine's Day. Whether you're in a relationship or not, putting too much importance on an arbitrary day as a marker of "real" love is more stressful than it's worth.
12. Wearing cute workout clothing. This is not meant to shame people who have and love said workout clothing. More power to you! But no one needs to feel obligated to look loungewear runway ready when heading off to gym.
13. Wearing 3-inch heels every day. If that's your style, again, you do you and rock it. But if you're putting your poor legs and feet through hell for a few extra inches, maybe don't. You'll still be just as gorgeous without the heels.
14. Finishing every book you start even when you aren't into it. Next time we get halfway through a novel and feel zero investment in the main characters, we're just gonna close it and give up.
15. Having the "perfect" body. You are enough, just as you are. Too much mental anguish goes into seeking an impossible standard.
16. Fake "pasta" made out of vegetables. Just eat the damn noodles if you want them.
17. Selfie shaming. Take and post as many fierce selfies as you want to. No one has the right to determine the images you put out there but you.
18. How your life compares to the lives of your former classmates/friends/siblings. Forget comparisons and arbitrary timelines. You do you.
19. Avoiding adding cheese in your salad. Life is short, put a little cheese on your lettuce.
20. People who don't give a sh*t about you. #BYE
Happy 2016, y'all!
Also on HuffPost:
-- This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.