Invite the family over and make one of these delicious slow cooker meals!
There's no need to slave over the hot stove when you can let the slow cooker take care of the job for you! Try one – or all – of these delectable recipes.
1. Slow Cooker Barbacoa Brisket
For a meal that's tender and juicy, try this recipe courtesy of Cooking Light magazine. Once it's finished, you can serve the beef over rice or add it to tortillas for tacos!
- 1 Tbsp. oregano – finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp. leftover adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 pound beef brisket – trimmed
- 2 medium tomatoes – chopped
- 1/2 medium onion – chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper – seeded and chopped
In a medium bowl, combine oregano, dark brown sugar, olive oil, chiles, adobo, cumin, salt and black pepper. Then, generously rub mixture onto brisket.
Place the chopped tomatoes, onion, red bell pepper and jalapeno pepper on the bottom of the slow cooker and mix well. Top with brisket and pour remaining spice mixture over it. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low temperature setting.
Once the time is up, remove the brisket and shred with two forks. Return meat back to the slow cooker and toss with cooked vegetables. Enjoy!
2. Honey-Apricot-Glazed Chicken
The flavor combination in this chicken recipe from Southern Living magazine is to die for.
- 8 skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup apricot brandy
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 6-ounce package dried apricots – cut in half
- 1 Tbsp. cold butter
- Fresh oregano for garnish
First, season your chicken with salt and pepper. Then, heat half of the canola oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add four chicken breasts and cook each side until browned – about three minutes each. Remove chicken thighs and add remaining oil and chicken to the skillet. Repeat the browning process. Once complete, transfer chicken thighs to a 5-quart slow cooker.
Add chopped onion to the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes, or until they're tender and transparent. Add brandy and cook until it's almost completely evaporated – this should take about two minutes. Transfer onions to the slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, whisk honey, mustard and chicken broth together. Pour mixture over chicken and onions, cover, and cook on low for four hours. At the two hour mark, add dried apricots.
Once the time is up, transfer the chicken and onions to a serving platter and cover with foil. Pour liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high-medium heat.
Reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Gradually whisk in the butter, let cool, and pour over chicken. Garnish with fresh oregano and enjoy!
3. Red Bean, Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
For a meal that's rich in vitamins and protein, this recipe form Midwest Living magazine makes the perfect dish.
- 2 15-ounce cans red beans – rinsed and drained
- 4 cups sweet potatoes – cubed and peeled
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts – diced
- 8 ounces boneless chicken thighs – diced
- 2 14 1/2-ounce reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large green peppers – chopped
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce can tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts for garnish
Combine beans, sweet potatoes, chicken, broth, peppers, diced tomatoes, tomatoes and green chiles, Cajun season and garlic in the slow cooker. Stir well.
Cover and cook combination for 10 to 12 hours on low heat setting. If you're pressed for time, you can cook it on high for five to six hours.
With one hour remaining until you serve the dish, remove a cup of the hot liquid from the slow cooker. Pour it into a bowl and carefully whisk in peanut butter. Once it's fully combined, stir it into the slow cooker.
Serve with fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts if desired.
4. Indian-Spiced Chicken and Cauliflower
This recipe courtesy of Country Living magazine uses a blend of Indian spices to spruce up your everyday chicken and vegetable dish.
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. ginger
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
In your 5-quart slow cooker, whisk together the first six ingredients until fully combined. Then, add chicken, cauliflower, onion and raisins and stir. Cover and cook for six to seven hours on low, or five to five hours on high.
Cook rice to accompany this dish and serve with yogurt, lemon wedges and a hint of cilantro!
Source: Sunrise Senior Living