This recipe, a favorite at Stratford Court of Boca Pointe, FL, is a perfect hearty yet healthy selection during brisk weather. It also makes a great alternative for Easter celebrations and is easy to prepare, even for beginners!
Butternut squash contains high levels of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that converts into vitamin A in the body to protect cells from damaging free radicals which can cause several chronic illnesses. Regular and adequate intake of beta-carotene has been known to help reduce the risk of coronary artery disease, stroke, certain cancers and macular degeneration.
Serves 6 - 8
- 1 tablespoon butter
- cup small diced butternut squash
- ¼ onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 ½ cups hot chicken stock
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the squash and onion. Cook until the onion softens.
- Add the rice, stirring to coat with the butter.
- Add the white wine. Cook, stirring constantly, until nearly evaporated.
- Add the stock. Reduce the heat. Stir until the stock has been absorbed.
- Add the peas, cream and Parmesan. Stir to heat through. Season to taste.
Source: Sunrise Senior Living