Inspired by a Manhattan Deli, our chef at Stratford Court of Boca Pointe, FL, has taken the time to perfect this dish throughout the years. It has become a huge hit with residents, especially in its pita pocket presentation.
- 4 ½ pounds boneless/skinless chicken breast
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, cinnamon, and black pepper.
- Combine chicken and marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cups roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 10 whole wheat pitas
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade. Add chicken to the pan and brown evenly on all sides.
- Deglaze the pan with stock and braise chicken for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and refrigerate chicken to cool.
- Remove chicken from cooking liquid. Shred chicken and combine with tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, parsley, and enough cooking liquid to moisten.
- Cut pitas to open. Fill each pita with 1 cup of chicken salad. Serve immediately.
Source: Sunrise Senior Living