Frequently featured during summer afternoon socials, our chef at Sunrise of Clayton, MO, created this appetizer by combining watermelon, a classic summer fruit, with some tomatoes and peppers found in the community garden. The result is this refreshing, seasonal dish that is a favorite among our residents.
Serves 8 - 10
- 6 cups small diced seedless watermelon
- 2 tomatoes, small diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded / small diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded / minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- Gently combine all the ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving to let the flavors marinate.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Source: Sunrise Senior Living