Packing your lunch for work can be such a great option when you're making steps toward a healthier lifestyle. It can also save you money and even taste better, too.
It can be surprisingly easy to get in the habit of packing a healthy lunch for work. If you're more of a recipe-follower, feel free to check out this Pinterest board for some great healthy lunch menus. If you prefer to stay on the more general side, that's okay too!
Either way, remember these tips for a smooth, stress-free lunch.
There are a few ways to make lunch preparation easy.
- Make extra dinner, and pack up the leftovers. This is a great option because it feels more robust than some typical "brown-bag" lunches.
- Have a meal prep day. You could make big batches of meals you enjoy, and divide them up to take to work throughout the week. Then all you'll need to do is grab it and go.
- Pack your lunch early. You're much more likely to forget or skip it if you wait to pack your lunch in the morning. Try to put food for lunch in containers as soon as you make it, and throw it all in your lunch box the night before you plan to eat it.
Your lunch utensils are completely up to you. Here are a few staples I recommend.
- Quality containers to store your food in. Whether it's traditional Tupperware, plastic bags, glassware, or your personal preference, be sure you have quality storage containers so your food stays fresh.
- A lunch bag that excites you. It's best to have a lunch bag that is insulated, so your food stays chilled until lunch time. No matter what you choose, make sure it's a bag that makes you really want to eat your healthy lunch. There are a ton of great options for fun lunch bags these days.
Again, this should be customized to you and what you like to eat. When it comes to healthy foods, though, keep these general tips in mind.
- Stock up on the staples. If you use a lot of common ingredient, buy it in bulk. With some, you might even consider storing it at work. For example, there are just short of a million bottles of salad dressing in the TotalWellness company fridge. Just be sure to label which one is yours.
- Re-purpose your leftovers to keep things exciting. Nobody wants to eat the same thing every day. If you made grilled chicken sandwiches last night, make a grilled chicken salad for lunch.
- Keep water on hand. This is true all the time. Hydration is incredibly important -- and often overlooked. Drinking water is healthy and will help you avoid opting for sugary drinks you can find in the vending machine.
- Balance out your meal. Try to have at least one fruit, one vegetable, some protein and a healthy carb. Avoid overloading on one area or another by intentionally planning your dishes.
Sometimes the hardest part can be actually wanting to eat your healthy lunch. Try these things to stay motivated.
- Pack foods you enjoy. Healthy food can be absolutely delicious. Find what you like to eat, and integrate it into your meal plan.
- Do everything you can to remember your lunch. If you have to keep your car keys in the fridge, do it! If you have to put a note on your shoes, do it! If you have to move your fridge in front of the door... well, probably avoid that one. But you get the point. Don't forget your lunch!
- Partner up with someone at work. Find a coworker who is willing to join you at your healthy lunch table. When others are opting for fast food and sweet snacks, find your buddy, sit down and enjoy your healthy lunches.
So what are you waiting for? Now is the perfect time to take back your work day. Start by packing a healthy lunch to bring with you.
What are you favorite healthy lunch recipes?
-- This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.